User Login

United Kingdom: New Requirements for Hauliers (Freight Forwarders)

EFFECTIVE AS OF JANUARY 1, 2022 ((Amended: September 1, 2022)

The World Customs Federation (WCF) has an updated version of the ATA Carnet practical information regarding the following customs territory:

UNITED KINGDOM – updated September 1, 2022

  1. The Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS)
    1. Any hauliers crossing into or out of the UK, via any port, will need to register for the GVMS to get their goods through Customs,
    2. ATA Carnet number should be entered in the “Declaration Reference” field for the GVMS declaration,
    3. Goods Movement Reference (GMR) is also required for personal or company vehicles transporting Carnet goods in both directions, i.e. exiting UK and returning to UK. For freighted goods, GMR will be obtained by the freight forwarder.
    4. For holders driving the goods in personal or company vehicles, if they don’t have their own HMRC accounts to obtain GMR, they can contact LCCI to obtain the GMR reference for their shipment using the following link: please click here to submit a GMR request. They can also contact other Customs Agents in the market.
    5. Personal Cars and Vans travelling to UK via Calais Euroshuttle will need to go to the Freight Terminal to get their Carnet stamped, as French Customs do not have Carnet processing facilities at the Passenger Terminal (GVM will be required to enter the freight terminal).

  2. Harwich Port – as of January 1, 2022, hauliers passing via the freight terminal will need to lodge a Customs Clearance Request before arriving at the port. Form C21 will allow hauliers that do not have access to the Customs System to lodge a request (note that shipments via Calais and Dunkerque do NOT need to lodge this request).

If you have questions, please contact a Carnet Specialist on the boomerang carnets Carnet HelpLine® 1-800-ATA-2900 |1-800-282-2900, Click to Chat or Email, at the top of this page.