User Login

The Brexit Blues, What Do I Do?

Monday, December 24, 2018


Even U.S. carnet users need to be aware of the consequences of Brexit.

To aid in planning for post-Brexit carnet use, a guide has been published. The guide helps carnet users add up the number of certificates they will need to request when ordering a carnet for Europe. While additional certificates can be ordered after the carnet has been issued and is in use, it can save money to anticipate what will be needed.

In a nutshell, the U.K. will be treated like Norway and Switzerland when processing a carnet application. When traveling between any of these three countries (non-E.U. members) and the E.U., carnets will need to be validated: stamped and signed in and out.

Each round-trip (entry and exit) requires a certificate set consisting of a counterfoil and voucher. A carnet is issued with up to 4 sets included in the cost. Additional sets can be ordered when the carnet is applied for and while the carnet is in use.

Questions can be directed to a Carnet Specialist at the Carnet HelpLine: 800.ATA.2900 or via email. To get periodic updates about Brexit and ATA Carnets, subscribe to our eNewsletter: Exportise.